Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Grand Central Academy

New York city hosts one of the finest painting ateliers I've heard about in the states, the Grand Central Academy of Art.  It's the brainchild of Jacob Collins and home to several of the greats in modern realist painting.  It's a fast paced city with too much congestion for my serious consideration as a place to live but that school was still something I've wanted to see.

Around here the closest art school is the Lyme Academy.  They have a superior studio space for students (because the studios are massive and flooded with great light) yet I feel they lack something in their finished paintings, the art on display in the halls is below the level I expect a place with such a great reputation.  If it's not too bold a thing to suggest I think I could fit in at Lyme, whereas the work being executed at GCA leaves me in the dust.  The painting being done there strongly resembles the academic works of the 1800s, a skill that seems otherwise all but lost.  Seeing what those students are doing, despite the obvious advantage of amazing teachers that seem to be successful at transmitting their techniques, has raised the bar for what I expect in my own art.

See the basics of what I mean here:
grandcentralacademy.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment